WordPress Themes rule the internet. Almost one third of the websites are developed using WordPress templates and in order to survive in the competitive digital world, one has to learn the tricks of WordPress. However, working around WordPress is not a simple task and one has to toil hard in order to become an expert. So, for helping those who are trying to get things right, we have compiled a list of the common mistakes made by developers while creating CSS for WordPress themes and how they can avoid these errors.
Common CSS Mistakes for WordPress Themes:
Prior to creating this list, we took suggestions from a well-known Website Development Company and also from a WordPress Development Company .Their inputs helped us refine the results and present to you only the top 5 mistakes that are commonly made by the developers.
- Adding extra codes: The most common mistake made by developers is the addition of repetitive or redundant codes in their CSS. This mistake leads to slower loading and makes the theme look quite messy. One needs to understand that there are better and concise ways to do things in WordPress and the developers must seek veteran help while doing their initial projects in order to avoid these mistakes.
- Syntax Errors in CSS: Despite being well versed with CSS<, there are times when developers forget to imply the basic rules pertaining to CSS and due to this, there is a huge effect in the final outcome. These issues are largely due to carelessness and to avoid such issues, a developer can use CSS validators for finding out the errors.
- Selecting Wrong Template: Since there are files with common names like comments.php and comments-popup.php, one needs to be quite careful. Many a times, a developer selects the incorrect template and makes changes in that template. Such actions do more harm than good and can even mess up the entire theme. Always keep a backup file of every file that you are editing in order to make sure that if you go wrong, you can restore your work just as fast, says a prominent developer from a Website Designing Company .
- Placing files in the Wrong Place: This mistake is generally made by the newbies. All codes and files are placed in specific locations and you must adhere to these rules in order to develop a theme. For instance, the HTML codes are placed in the index.php files and all the PHP files are stored in the themes folder. Also, CSS files are always located inside the style.css file which is found in the theme folder. So, go through a proper module in order to understand the basics so that you do not make these mistakes.
- Multiple Choices for the Developers: Since there are a lot of choices available to the developers, they tend to mix up things. The most common blunder is to assign multiple references to a single selector file. In such cases, there is data processing conflict as all selectors start loading at once and cause issues. So, keep an eye while you’re using selectors and make sure that you take help from a veteran in your first project so that you can continue to work properly in future.
So, avoid these 5 common mistakes made in WordPress by the developers and ensure proper WordPress theme development for your website.
Rahul Mathur is the founder and managing director of ARKA Softwares, a company renowned for its outstanding mobile app development and web development solutions as well as specialized in Android and iOS app development. Delivering high-end modern solutions to all over the globe, Rahul takes pleasure in sharing his experiences and views on latest technological trends.