Introduction of Online Taxi Booking Ecosystem
Over the last few years, the concept of traditional taxi services has become almost non-existent. Evolution of incredible taxi booking app development has taken over the market by a storm.
In a lot of places, especially metropolitan cities, the concept of hiring a taxi has become extremely prevalent. Hiring a taxi not only falls cheaper than owning your car but it also spares you from the troubles of jam-packed roads and car repairs. Moving on, companies like Uber, Ola, Lyft, and more have made getting a ride just one tap away. These apps have dominated the market and are certainly here to stay.
So, if you are looking to venture into your taxi booking service app, there is no better time than today. In this article, we will look at the various taxi apps available out there and how they are developed. Finally, we shall also delve into the cost aspect of developing a taxi booking app. Let’s begin.
Market Size and Stats
The market for taxi booking mobile apps has witnessed significant growth in the past few years. New apps have bourgeoned to enhance people’s experience of hiring a taxi. However, out of the lot, one app that has shown incredible success is Uber.
Garnering worldwide recognition, the company has touched the pinnacle of success in less than a decade, commanding a noteworthy global market value of $72 billion.
Other Key Uber Statistics are:
- The company generated $12 billion in gross bookings in the recent quarter.
- The company has an established presence in over 80 countries worldwide and boasts of over 75 million active riders.
- Till date, Uber has completed over 5 billion rides.
Besides, the global taxi booking service market was valued at $36,450 million in 2017. This is anticipated to reach $126,521 million by 2025, marking a CAGR of 16.5% from the year 2018-2025.
Types of Taxi Booking Apps
Broadly, there are two types of taxi booking apps:
Dedicated Taxi Booking App
This type of taxi booking app is an extension of your taxi business. It is suited to established taxi businesses who already own a fleet of cars and drivers. By launching their very own taxi service apps, these business owners make it easy for their customers to book a ride. At the same time, they gain the opportunity to reach a wider base of customers.
In such apps, the customers simply need to input their location, pay the service’s hourly tariff and select their preferred car. These types of apps require a server that can handle multiple customer requests at the same time and deliver taxis to the customers in the shortest time frame.
Taxi Aggregator Mobile App
Well, this is exactly the model Uber operates on.
Meant for the newbies, this type of taxi booking service app is for people who are starting in the business of taxis and do not already own a fleet of cars. In this, you can offer a mobile booking service for taxi drivers. Now there are two primary ways of doing it – simple and complex.
Simple Cab Booking: In a simple solution, you only need a single app for the customers that enlist the different taxi services along with their commercials. Such an app requires the integration of features that allow the customers to call and order a taxi for themselves directly. Additionally, such apps come with a map that shows all the destinations and provides an approximate fare estimate for the ride based upon the price per unit, mileage, distance, etc.
One of the greatest benefits of these apps is that they do not require a server. However, you need to closely monitor and update the app’s database regularly in order to account for the price fluctuations.
On-Demand Cab Booking (Real-Time): This type of app is much like Uber and calls for a server as well as a lot of investment. These apps are packed with a lot of advanced features, offered in the form of two discrete interfaces- one for the passengers and the other for the taxi drivers. Consequently, you will have ink coalitions with taxi companies or individuals for the same.
Business Model Canvas of Taxi Booking App
How a Typical Taxi Booking Mobile App Works
Typically, a taxi booking app leverages the power of GPS (Global Positioning System) to identify the current location of a customer who is looking for a taxi and notifies the driver nearest to him.
Once the customer generates a taxi booking request, the action prods the nearby taxi driver with a ride notification. Upon acceptance, the users are informed of the precise taxi location along with the estimated time of arrival.
What Feature List should a Taxi Booking App Possess?
|For Passengers panel||For Driver Panel||For Admin Panel|
Advanced Features to Keep You Ahead of Competition
- Social Login & Signups: This feature allows the customers to quickly signup for your app using existing social media accounts.
- Push Notifications: Push notifications help to keep the customers updated about the driver’s location, estimated time of arrival, along with other details such as car model, license number, etc. On the other hand, these notifications provide order alerts, order completion updates and other taxi booking data (location, route, payment, etc.) to the drivers.
- Heat Map Generation: This functionality helps in determining the busiest time of one location, making drivers aware so they can reach to their customers accordingly.
- Loyalty Programs: Digital codes or coupons are generated to offer timely discounts and deals to loyal riders.
- Real-Time Analytics: This feature allows the admin to study every detail such as trip statistics, currently active drivers, weekly and monthly billing specifics, etc. Similarly, it can be used by drivers to get a fair idea about their earnings.
- Automated Dispatch: Automated dispatch notifies the drivers with all the crucial booking data that can be easily managed with their smartphones. The feature helps in sending lucid booking order details and instructions to the drivers.
- Real-Time Tracking: This feature helps to determine the precise location of the customers as well as the drivers. Also, it helps the riders in locating taxis nearest to them along with tracking the route.
- Automate Driver’s Payouts: Using this feature, you can set different payment schedules and subscriptions that charge the driver on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Or instead, you can set a fixed percentage that will be charged from the total earnings of the driver. On the other hand, this feature can also be used to automate the transfer of salaries to the driver’s account on a set billing period.
- Intelligent Queue Algorithm: This feature assists the taxi service providers to form a queue of all the drivers who can reach the customer within 5 minutes and then send job requests to the driver in a fair and rightful manner.
- Panic Button (Driver & Passenger): To enhance the app’s security, you can add the panic button feature to both – Driver and Passenger module of the app. This button allows the riders as well as the drivers to quickly contact first responders in case something goes wrong during the trip.
- Ride Tracking (Floating Window): As the rider books his ride, a floating window appears on the screen that enhances the transit experience by providing real-time GPS tracking on the mobile app.
- Fare Calculator: This calculates the estimated fare before the customer books a ride from point A to point B with a particular taxi type.
- Choose Preferred Driver: This feature allows the customers to choose their preferred driver, for instance, a driver they have travelled with before, for a smooth and improved ride experience.
- Smartwatch Access: Booking taxi right from user’s smartwatch takes convenience up a notch. Taxi booking, tracking driver and features like fare estimation can be accessed from a smartwatch.
- In-App Calling: Once the taxi is booked, the customers can make free calls to their particular driver from within the mobile app itself.
- In-App Chat: In-app chats further help the riders and drivers to be at a common touchpoint. Additionally, apps like Uber allow the drivers to quickly send a thumbs up to a reply, without getting sidetracked.
- Number Masking: This feature facilitates seamless communication between the driver and the customers without giving out the real phone numbers.
The Architecture of Taxi Booking App
Technology stack for Taxi Booking App Development
- Google maps
- Android Studio
- Orange Money
Taxi Booking Mobile App Development Process
Required Team Structure
As you begin with the app development process, it is important that you choose the right mobile app development company that suits your app requirements and budget and along with that offers a great app development team.
Your app development team should consist of the following:
Project Manager: This person is responsible to manage the app development process at all the stages. S/he needs to be fully aware of the client requirements with the app and should have exceptional management skills.
Back-end Developers: Couple of back-end developers to develop a robust application for back-end functionalities
UX/UI Designers: These individuals play a crucial role in the success of an app, as they are responsible for the look and feel of the mobile app.
QA Experts: It is the responsibility of quality analysis experts to ensure that your taxi booking mobile apps run smoothly and is entirely bug-free.
How Much Does it Cost to Create a Taxi Booking Mobile App?
As it comes to determining the cost of a taxi booking mobile app, it basically depends on four major factors, i.e.
- App Complexity: It consists of how complex is your app, like whether you have chosen a simple design or a complex design, as the latter adds to the cost.
- A Number of app platforms: Choosing multiple mobile app platforms will surely enhance
- Features & Functionalities: Number of features and functionalities would definitely affect the overall development cost.
- Development Region: The cost can hugely vary as per the development region you choose for your taxi booking mobile app development.
- In-case of developers in the US, they charge $150-$250/hour,
- developers in Eastern-Western Europe charge $40-$150/hour,
- whereas India-based developers tend to be charged $10-$80/hour.
“Thus, if you choose to get the app developed by Indian sub-content developers, then the taxi booking app development cost for a basic featured app for a single platform (either Android or iOS) is going to be around $20000-$35000. Adding more functionalities and more platforms can take the cost up to around $50000.”
Rahul Mathur is the founder and managing director of ARKA Softwares, a company renowned for its outstanding mobile app development and web development solutions as well as specialized in Android and iOS app development. Delivering high-end modern solutions to all over the globe, Rahul takes pleasure in sharing his experiences and views on the latest technological trends.