How to Ensure The Success of An e-learning Mobile App?
The present situation in the educational sector showcases a massive increase in the resources available for the educational purpose. One such is the concept of e-learning mobile apps. Ever since their arrival, these apps have received a warm welcome from the students and the parents owing to the many benefits that come with it. It also can’t be denied that today when most students like spending most of their time on smart devices, these educational mobile apps prove to be a great mean to utilize this time more productively. At the same time, these apps are financially accessible to students, hence they can easily use them without worrying about the high tuition fee.
Rising Use of Educational Mobile Applications
Today people know how to use smart devices and are these devices are a huge part of their lives. Hence, no time is better than NOW to introduce them to this technology (educational mobile apps) via their mobile devices. These mobile learning platforms are very appealing and will have the total attention of the learners. They offer the easiest ways to make learning easy for the students. Like, they allow them to save important notes online, submit assignments on the go, find tutorials and access them online, and a lot more.
This way, it won’t be an exaggeration to say that mobile technology has transformed the education industry by putting education in everyone’s pockets.
In this blog, we will discuss various aspects of educational or e-Leaning mobile apps, their features, the technology used, estimated development cost and a lot more. But prior to that let’s explore the types of education-based apps.
Amazing Stats about eLearning
What are The Types of e-Learning Apps?
They are five types of commonly used e-Learning apps:
- Courseware: This type of app particularly runs some courses. These courses are in the form of videos which run only within the app.
- Classroom aids: This software is mainly used in school classrooms. Usually, the content of the course is projected on the whiteboards or white screens. It is widely used in distance learning classrooms.
- Assessment software: These kinds of e-learning apps run several tests and quizzes for the students. They can take part in these tests to assess their knowledge. The app will compute the answers given by the students and then displays a score to the app user.
- Reference Software: These kinds of apps are usually created for the category of dictionaries and encyclopedias.
- Specific Educational purpose software: These apps are developed for niche markets, like typing tutors, driving tests, healthcare, and medical educational software.
The main aim of these apps is to be engaging and interesting as ultimately only that way they can appeal to the students.
Market Size, Trends & Statistics of e-Learning Mobile Applications
As per the recent statistics, e-Learning mobile apps are the third most frequently installed apps on mobile devices with a current rate of 8.47%. Other statistics highlight that global market of m-learning apps was worth $165.36 billion in 2016, however, it is expected that by 2022, the market will go beyond $243 billion, by growing at the pace of 5.08% CAGR.
Hence, it won’t be wrong to say that it is a profitable opportunity for businesses to develop an e-Learning mobile app to scale up the revenues. After all, the demand in education can never witness a downfall and these m-Learning mobile apps offer the best mean to earn massive profits.
How e-Learning Mobile App Works?
The e-Learning mobile app mainly has four users. They are Students, Teachers, Parents, & Super Admin. So the functioning of the app will be different for each of the users.
For Students: The students are the target audience of these e-learning apps. Therefore, the whole business model revolves around them. A student is required to register to the app by entering relevant personal information. The next step is choosing the desired course. A student can subscribe to multiple courses and pay for each one of them. The course material and notes remain inside the app and available to the student whenever he/she wants. A user can also set up her profile where she can view her subscribed courses and progress.
For Parents: Not all e-learning business models have a dedicated app for parents or require parents’ login. However, if the student is too young then the parents can log in and subscribe to the courses for their child. Parents can always keep tracking the learning progress of their child.
For Teachers: The e-learning apps provide special features to the teachers. The teachers can sign up to the app as teachers. They can upload and sell their own designed courses to the students. They also have their own profiles keep an eye on their every activity. The app also allows them to interact with their subscribed students.
Who Can Adopt e-Learning Mobile Apps?
The concept of e-Learning mobile apps can be immensely beneficial for the schools, colleges and coaching institutions. Reason being, these apps make the process of learning interactive for the students. This way the educational institutions can utilize this platform to make learning easier and fun for their students.
Not just educational institutes, but these apps can also benefit the corporate sector, where the companies can use e-Learning apps to train their employees, volunteer engagement and reduce the training costs.
What Are the Benefits of e-Learning Mobile Apps?
There are several advantages of mobile learning and here we have discussed a few of them.
- e-Learning mobile apps allow users to learn by using podcasts, videos, and other mechanisms, on their smartphones and tablets. Hence, they make the process of learning quite flexible for learners.
- e-Learning mobile platforms have better completion rates & higher retention rates. They present the content in a concise manner. Hence, learners can finish the course and initiate the next course.
- Often students suffer from lack of collaboration, however, these m-learning apps offer them collaborative learning via online learning communities within the app.
- e-learning apps ensure higher engagement, as here the m-learning is easily accessible by the students at any time and any place. Thus, regardless of their location, students/learners can stay on track with their training and this results in significantly fewer dropouts.
- One of the best benefits of e-Learning mobile apps is multi-device support. Students can easily access the same course from their smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktops.
- These apps also allow the parents to keep track of their kids’ performance in schools and colleges. This way, they can ensure their child’s progress and development. Usually, the reports viewed by the parents consist of: Time spent studying, Exam Preparedness, Understanding Factor, and so on.
Top e-Learning Mobile Applications
There are several of e-Learning mobile apps present out there, and below we have named the few highly successful ones:
Royal society of chemistry developed this app. But don’t assume it to be boring going by its name, it’s a lot of fun using this app. It contains all the necessary data to satisfy the user, along with podcasts & videos, to make users learn each & every element from the periodic table.
: This is the go-to app for every bibliophile out there. It provides users with millions of books & popular magazines, which they can read right from their phones and tablets. The most exciting feature of this app is the inbuilt dictionary which helps the users maintain their reading flow by helping out with tough words within the app.
This one of the most popular & recognised educational apps out there. This app is famous because it bodes well with all kind of age groups. There are more than 1,000 different courses from reputed universities. After completing the course and passing the test the user or student receives a recognized certificate.
With the smart use of study guides, quizzes, flashcards, this app is creating a buzz in the study field. Students rate these flashcard decks & tests and by doing this they can easily access the most popular ones with one single tap. When the users are done with one quiz, they can then accept the result & try to better your high score.
With the help of this app, learners can even pay a visit to Mcgill & MIT, virtually. Using this app, one can easily get a higher education. Lectures, tests, quizzes, personal schedule are available via this app. Users can even get a degree with this app. But one downside would be that for some courses & certificates they charge a high price.
This app was designed with keeping the high school students, who struggle with maths, in mind. They can easily find out the solution for any problem within a minute and the coolest thing about this app is that the user won’t have to type the whole problem as even the photo of the problem will be enough to get a solution.
Key Features To Be Included In an e-Learning Mobile App
Features of Students Panel:
Features of Teachers Panel:
Features of Parents Panel (If Apps for Schools, Colleges):
Features of Super Admin Panel:
Above we discussed the key features that need to be integrated into an e-Learning mobile application. However, not every e-Learning app has to be the same. Instead, in order to give a competitive edge to the app, its shoulder is ensured that it is different from the other apps present in the market. Hence, these below-mentioned advanced features can be integrated into the app to make it unique.
- Leaderboards: Making the platform competitive is a great way to motivate students. Hence, integrating Leaderboards functionality can work as a great motivator for the students and other learners.
- Quizzes & Assessments: It can be great to make online quizzes and assessments a part of your e-Learning mobile app. Try creating and delivering these quizzes to students on a regular basis. They make it easier to keep track of the performance of each and every student. For an online quiz, all questions can be presented on a single page and a single question can be offered per page in an assessment. These online tests can be delivered as standalone for a practice test on a specific subject or topic or can be delivered as part of the curriculum.
- Document Sharing: Teachers can easily share documents with the users/learners/students via an online repository. Once the documents, PDFs, presentations, and spreadsheets are uploaded and shared with the users, they can then easily access them online, anywhere and anytime, using their mobile devices. The users can either choose to open documents from the mobile browser without downloading the documents to the device memory. Or they can choose to download the files to enable offline accessibility.
- Discussion Forums: Integrate this functionality to encourage interaction among the app users. In the Discussion Forums, the app users can create new topics, add comments under the already existing topics. This is also an effective means to enhance learning experience among the users, as they can share their insights and experience with other students and learners. The posts can be moderated by the admin to avoid spamming. Also, notifications can be sent to the users every time a new comment is posted on their thread or to their comments.
- e-Commerce: Integrating e-commerce functionality into the app is a great way to enhance its effectiveness. As that way, users can easily purchase videos, books, lessons, and other learning products from within the app. They don’t have to search anywhere else for them and this increases all engagement. On the other hand, integrating e-Commerce functionality also work wonders to bring in more income via this platform.
- Audio-Video Streaming: This functionality can be highly effective to increase user interaction with your app. It will allow the users to stream the classes or live classrooms on interactive On-Demand and Audio Streaming m-learning apps.
- Push Notification: An e-learning mobile app constantly requires to send notifications to the users in order to keep them updated regarding the upcoming class, new video upload, new material available, and for a lot more purposes. Thus, push notification functionality can really add to the performance for an m-learning mobile app.
- Real-Time Analytics: This functionality allows to track app performance and user behavior with the app. From here, it is easy to track mobile learning assignments, assessment score, learner progress, course completion, social learning engagement and a lot more.
- CMS Integration: Content Management System, as the name says itself, allows managing the content of mobile learning. For an e-Learning mobile app, content plays a crucial part. Hence, it is vital to keep a constant check on the content that is posted on the platform. CMS can be integrated into the app to manage the app content effectively.
- CRM Integration: Customer Relationship Management is a crucial part of an e-Learning mobile app, and hence this functionality can be wondering when integrated into the app. This will allow maintaining a good rapport with the customers, which here are students and learners.
- Role-Based Dashboard: These dashboards allow measuring to performance of the overall mobile app. In case, there is any scope for improvement, then it can be easily realized with the use of role-based dashboards, which is an effective way to look at every aspect and activity on the app.
- In-app Chat: This functionality allows students to easily get in touch with the teachers in case of any confusion or trouble. Even the students can interact with each other from within the app, to discuss topics or for other related purposes.
- Multiple Language: It can be greatly useful for the app to be integrated with multiple-language functionality. This way, users from all around the world can be part of the e-learning mobile app.
- Multiple Payment Option: This functionality can again be of huge help for the users, as this way they will be able to make payments in a hassle-free manner. Multiple modes, such as PayPal, Stripe, Braintree, Debit/Credit Cards can be used here.
What monetization models are used for e-Learning mobile apps?
There are three types of monetization models that can be used for e-Learning mobile apps:
- Subscription-Based: As it comes to the subscription models, they can be used in two ways, either free subscription or premium subscription. Most students prefer going for the premium subscription owing to its many advantages. The free subscription is very basic with content and classes being available online. However, with a premium subscription, users get to access the full course and can even get their doubts cleared from their mentors. Also, premium subscription even works offline, when there is poor or no internet connectivity. Owing to these many benefits, most students prefer the premium subscription model and hence it is really a lucrative monetization model.
- E-Commerce: Another great way to earn revenue via the e-learning app, is integrating the e-Commerce functionality. Here the app users make purchases for books, materials, content, and this way revenue can be earned by the app owners.
- In-app Advertisements: Third-party party ads can be integrated into the app to earn some extra income.
Required Tech Stack
- Mobile SDK – Android and IOS
- Push Notifications – Twilio, Push.io
- SMS, Voice, and Phone Verification -Nexmo, Twilio
- Payments – Braintree & PayPal, Stripe, E-Wallets
- GWT – for Powerful Programming
- Datastax – for Data Management
- Mandrill – for everything related to emails
- Debian– the Universal Operating System
- Database – MongoDB, HBase, Cassandra, Postgress, Mail Chimp Integration
- Cloud Environment – AWS
- Real-time Analytics – Hadoop, Spark, BigData, Apache Flink, Cisco, IBM
- Streaming Media System – Helix Universal Server, Wowza Streaming Engine, Nimble Streamer
E-Learning Mobile App Workflow Chart
To develop an e-learning mobile app, the following set of professionals would be required:
- Project Manager
- Android/iOS Developers
- Back-end Developers
- UX/UI Designers
- QA Testers
- Delivery Manager
How much will it cost to create an e-Learning mobile app?
The cost to develop an e-learning mobile app depends mainly on three factors. They are:
- The complexity of the e-Learning Mobile App: If an app is integrated with just the basic features, then the cost will be significantly lesser as compared to an app that is integrated with lots of exciting features.
- The number of platforms: An eLearning app developed for a single platform, iOS or Android, will cost less. However, an app developed for multiple platforms will cost higher.
- App Development Region: The development cost per hour for an app differs from region to region, like in the USA, the development cost per hour is $150-$250, in Eastern-Europe it is $80-$180, and in India, it is $25-$50.
Hence, it is clear from the above description, then the development cost per hour is lowest in India and other south Asia countries. Hence, if an Indian mobile app development firm is chosen, then calculated all the charges in terms of technical documentation, UX/UI Design, Front-end & Back-end Development, & Testing, the overall cost would be up to $8000-$25000. However, that is for a basic app with limited features and developed for a single platform (Android or iOS). The cost may go up to $35000 when more features are added to the app and it is developed to more platforms.
Why Choosing The Right App Development Partner is Important?
Educational mobile apps are becoming a hype in the present era. Thus, to ensure the creation of a fully-functional and innovative e-learning mobile app, it is vital for a business to pick the right mobile app development partner. While searching for an app development partner, it should be ensured that it has a great past record, good market standing and is backed by a great set of mobile app developers.