In this modern era that we are living in, everything is literally just a tap away. Need to order a cab, few taps on the phone and it’s done, need to buy a nice dress with a summer vibe, few taps on phone and it’s done. Yes, it is really that simple, owing to this growing concept of on-demand mobile apps.
Among the several categories of on-demand mobile apps, there is one for the grocery shoppers as well. In fact, it would be right to say that the emergence of grocery delivery app development was considered as no less than a blessing for most people out there. They literally loved the idea of saying bye to the long queues they had to stand in while shopping for groceries. Not anymore!
The users of on-demand grocery app customers are increasing at a rapid scale. And as compared to the past, there is a tremendous increase in the number of grocery mobile app users. These people love the idea of placing online requests for grocery required by them and that being delivered to them on time. All this happens without having to visit the physical grocery stores and wait in the queues to make payments. This basically is the reason behind this drastic increase in the number of people who shop grocery online.
Today there are numerous app developers and app development firms out there who craft grocery store mobile apps for the businesses that need them. They create unique, fast, user-friendly apps integrated with exclusive features making them likeable by the users. In case, you are looking to create an on-demand grocery mobile app for your business in order to provide a great shopping experience for your users, then this article covers all the crucial aspects of creating a grocery delivery mobile application.
Before jumping on to the technical aspects of the grocery mobile app creation, let’s explore their current market size.
A study that took place very recently, reveals that 35 percent of user community loves ordering groceries online and these numbers are increasing at a rapid rate. The concept of Grocery Delivery Mobile App Development has gained remarkable momentum.
As per CNBC, it is expected that by the year 2025, online grocery sales will grab 20 percent of the market successfully. Other statistics suggest that the grocery mobile app usage is going to increase by 50% in the coming months itself.
Table of Content
- 0.0.1 How On-demand Grocery Delivery app works?
- 0.0.2 Business Model for Grocery Delivery App
- 0.0.3 What are the types of Grocery Shopping Mobile apps available in the market?
- 0.0.4 Current Market Leaders in the segment of Grocery Delivery apps
- 0.0.5 What are the key features of Grocery Delivery Mobile App?
- 0.0.6 Grocery User Panel
- 0.0.7 Super Admin
- 0.0.8 Delivery Boy
- 0.0.9 The Grocery Store
- 0.0.10 Advanced Features
- 0.0.11 Technology Stack for Grocery App
- 0.0.12 Architecture for Grocery App Development
- 0.0.13 Required Team Structure to Create a Grocery Shopping App
- 0.0.14 Cost to Create a Grocery Delivery Mobile App
- 1 Let the Ideas Roll!
Hence, it is the best time to make some strategic changes in your business tactics to reach out to more potential users and presently there can be no better way than a grocery mobile app. These apps allow to provide a best-in-class experience to users and are immensely helpful to scale up the revenues.
How On-demand Grocery Delivery app works?
The functioning of most of these grocery delivery apps is really simple. This way it allows all kinds of users to use the app. These apps offer virtually all of the grocery items and allow users to set filters in order to make the search process easier for the users. These apps basically work as a virtual supermarket, and the users here are enabled to search items as per their requirements, place order requests instantly, and make hassle-free cashless transactions. This way, an on-demand grocery shopping app, makes the whole process simple and convenient for the users.
Business Model for Grocery Delivery App
What are the types of Grocery Shopping Mobile apps available in the market?
If you are looking to create a Grocery Delivery Mobile App for your business, then keep in mind that there are a number of options available out there for you. Below, we have discussed the most common types of grocery apps available in the market. They are:
- Aggregators Apps: The idea for this kind of grocery app is to simply list out the nearby grocery stores to the users. Here, the user can pick one among the grocery stores listed in the app. Then going to the menu list in the app, the user can add items s/he wants to purchase, in desired quantity to the cart. Once the cart is ready, the user can check out and make the payment via available payment mode in the app. As soon as the payment is processed, the user will receive an order confirmation and then the order can be easily tracked by the user in real-time. Here, the work of the app is to connect the user to the grocery store, and then the delivery is managed by the store owner, as the job of the aggregator is simply to list the store and its menu on the app platform.
- Marketplace Apps: This kind of app is similar to the aggregator model, with the only difference that here the marketplace has a team of delivery personnel who deliver the ordered grocery to the customers’ address.
- Single Stores Apps: In this app model, the grocery owner gets an app developed for its store and is responsible for managing everything from maintaining the app, keeping the menu list updated, delivering the orders to customers, and collecting payments.
- Grocery Chains Apps: Most Grocery chain apps work on the concept of Walmart, which offers its own on-demand app solution. Here the functioning is similar to Single Stores at the micro-level operations.
- Personalized Grocery Apps: These kinds of apps are basically crafted for shoppers, enabling them to plan out their grocery shopping way effectively. It helps the users in creating a grocery list, set reminders and share the grocery information with their contacts.
Ultimately, the purpose of grocery shopping mobile apps is to make the overall process easier for the users and offer a great user experience.
Current Market Leaders in the segment of Grocery Delivery apps
The On-demand grocery delivery tends to be among the highest-grossing industry at the moment, with big businesses being Shipt, Instacart, Peapod, Amazon Fresh, that have successfully made a mark in this domain.
- Peapod: Established in 1989
- Instacart: Established in 2012
- Shipt: Established in 2014
- FreshDirect: Established in 2002
- Farmigo: Established in 2009
What are the key features of Grocery Delivery Mobile App?
Grocery User Panel
The Grocery Store
Once you have covered the key features of a Grocery shopping mobile app, you should next know about the additional features and functionalities that can be integrated into the grocery mobile app. This will ensure that your app stays ahead in the competition.
- Push Notifications: This functionality works wonders in increasing the user engagement with the app and thus is greatly helpful in user acquisition and retention. It is vital for an app success that the user constantly engages with it, but this must be ensured in a manner that the user doesn’t feel disturbed or irritated. Push notifications are great to be used to send alerts to users regarding new offers and discounts in the grocery products. Besides, alerts can also be sent to users regarding their recent orders, this way they are kept updated of the proceedings.
- GPS Tracking: For a grocery delivery mobile app, GPS (Global Positioning System) functionality is quite crucial, as it is extremely helpful for drivers in locating routes. At the same time, it helps in updating real-time information for the users, regarding the order proceedings and delivery.
- Behaviour Tracking: This functionality is of huge help as this efficiently tracks user behavior with the app, and accordingly suggests them products as they visit the app next time. This way, it is time-saving and makes the whole process of grocery shopping very efficient.
- Real-time Analytics: This feature is crucial to stay updated of all the happenings in the app, via graphs and statistics. Hence, it gets easier to plan for the future and craft strategies and offers accordingly to allure the users.
- Loyalty Programs: In order to keep the users attuned to the app, it is vital to run loyalty programs from time to time for your loyal app customers, like you can offer them festive discounts, or gifts, once they reach a certain shopping limit.
- Marketing Tools: The purpose of this functionality is to promote the mobile app to your target audience, by introducing offers for new app users, and by running in-app advertisements.
- Shoppers Tracking: For this feature, you would also require to integrate GPS functionality, which has been discussed above. The Shoppers Tracking feature is useful in tracking the users whenever they are near your grocery store. This way you can send them promotional offers and discounts, prompting them to make a visit to your grocery store to avail the offers.
- In-App Calling: This functionality is useful for making in-app calls to the store owner, delivery person, while it also allows the delivery person to call the customer and store owners to call the user and the delivery person.
- In-App Chatting: The in-app chat functionality allows the users to send messages to the delivery person and the store owner in case the user requires to mention any specifications.
- Rate & Review: This functionality allows the app user to rate and review the app. The users can decide about the performance of the app and a grocery store with the help of the ratings and reviews given by other users. The app also allows users to rate the driver.
- Re-Ordering: By integrating this feature into your app, you will allow your users to instantly re-order the grocery items they purchased in the past. This saves time and efforts and makes the whole process a lot more efficient.
Technology Stack for Grocery App
- Mobile platform – Android, iOS
- Real-time Analytics: IBM, Apple Flink, BigData, Cisco, Spark, Hadoop
- Database: Mail Chimp Integration, Postgress, HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra
- Payments: e-Wallets, Stripe, PayPal, Braintree
- Voice, SMS, & Phone Verification: Twilio, Nexmo
- Push Notifications: Push.io, Twilio
- Cloud Environment: Azure, Google, AWS
Architecture for Grocery App Development
Required Team Structure to Create a Grocery Shopping App
Having the right team on board is the most essential aspect of creating Grocery Delivery Mobile App. By having a proficient set of app development experts on board, you can ensure the success of the app to a great extent. And this can only be ensured by picking a good grocery app development company that has a good reputation in the domain of app development and is highly experienced. While choosing the firm, ensure that their app development team consist of skilled and experienced personnel, such as:
- Project Manager: This person is responsible for keeping the teams at all levels of app development, on the same page. As s/he will be the connecting link between you and the app development team, hence it should be ensured that this person has impressive communication and managerial skills, to keep the whole team informed and together at all levels.
- App Developers: This consists of the iOS App developers, Android App Developers, and Back-end App Developers. You can pick the developers as per the platform of your choice, like if you want to create the app for Android platform then go for proficient Android developers, if you are keen on developing app for iOS platform, then look for skilled iOS developers, however if you want to develop your app for both the platforms, then go with both the developers. Front-end developers will be managing the development work of front-end of the app, while the back-end developers will be responsible for the back-end.
- Designers: These are the people responsible for the look and feel of your mobile app.
- Quality Analysis Experts: No app can be a success if it is filled with bugs and errors. And QA experts ensure that your app works smooth and free of any bugs and errors.
- Delivery Manager: This person is responsible for delivery the grocery delivery mobile app to the clients.
Cost to Create a Grocery Delivery Mobile App
There are several factors that affect the cost of any mobile app, some of them are given below
- The complexity of the app
- Number of app platforms
- Development Team Size
- App Development Region
- 3rd Party App Integration
The app complexity is affected by the features and design that you choose to integrate into your app, the more complex the design and features, the higher would be the cost. Next, if you choose a single platform, iOS, or Android, for your app, then the cost will be lesser compared to an app developed for both the platforms. Then comes the development region. The development cost per hour of an app differs in different regions. Like, in the USA, if you want to hire mobile app developers then the charge is $150-$250 per hour, then Eastern Europe based developers charge $100-$150 per hour. The development cost per hour largely differs when you choose to get the app developed by the Indian developers, i.e. $40-$80 per hour.
Going by this estimate, we can say the cost to create a basic mobile app with key features and for a single platform would be between $15000-$25000, if you choose to go with Indian developers or App development company. However, to create a feature-rich app for both the platforms would cost around $35000.
Rahul Mathur is the founder and managing director of ARKA Softwares, a company renowned for its outstanding mobile app development and web development solutions. Delivering high-end modern solutions all over the globe, Rahul takes pleasure in sharing his experiences and views on the latest technological trends.